Staging Environment Testing - Aug 28, 2020

• This is the thread for people trying out the staging environment before I go live:

https://staging.learnjsthehardway.com/

Payments are not real at all, but use the Bitcoin button so that you can do a fake bitcoin payment and get a fake account. I will periodically wipe the accounts on here so don't expect any of your progress or status to remain.

There should be fake exercises for two fake modules up and testable, just try to pretend you're going through them.

If anything in the design gives you a headache let me know. I mostly just messed with it until I was smiling.

• Hey Zed, I did some poking around the staging site. Here are my test results. Let me know if there's anything else I should test. Looking really good!

Tested on Chrome Version 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10
    Tested on Firefox 80.0 (64-bit) on Windows 10
    Tested on Safari 13.0.5 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Bitcoin payment - worked on STAGING, just clicked button and it “accepted” my fake payment

01: HTML Tags

• Not sure what message on video means: “I agree to share with other users to get the video faster.” Is this some kind of peer to peer thing?
    • Q&A/comment box worked great on Chrome, couldn’t submit a comment on Firefox or Safari (on Firefox/Safari, “Submit Question” button appears to be grayed out)

Course Dashboard

• On course Dashboard area, would be cool if the “Ask on forum” link opened in a new tab/window
    • Twitter, Github, and About course links at bottom of all pages - can these open in a new tab as well?

Navigation/Global Nav dropdown from name

• Request invoice form works and pop-up message appears (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
    • All links work as expected
    • Would be nice if RSS, Atom, and JSON links opened in new tab (currently open in same tab)
    • On Safari - RSS and Atom links try to open in macOS News app; JSON link opens in same browser tab
    • Logout works fine on all 3 browsers

• Awesome, thanks for testing Dave. I'll fix these up and post a new release announce. Very interesting about the News app on Safari. I'll have to try that out.

For the video, yes this is using WebTorrent to share the load of the video, hopefully getting it to people way faster than just plain HTTP. In my testing it just blows the doors off even S3 hosting for speed and usability, with the only down side being you're connecting randomly to other people's IP. I figure people do that all day in all kinds of other apps (games, chats, bitorrent, etc.) but I have to notify them that this is going to happen. That's it really.

• That's really cool, about using WebTorrent for the videos. By the way, my suggestions above are just picky things, overall I think the course looks really great and I'm excited to take it. If you need any more testing done, I'm happy to help!

• @Dave No, those are great suggestions. I'll have another update posted probably tomorrow. Stay tuned.